Risk ManagementDistrict Vehicle Policy & Guidelines

Risk management District vehicle policy & guidelines




The following is the District's vehicle policy and provides procedures for the use of District-owned vehicles. Questions regarding the policy may be directed to the Purchasing, Contracts & Risk Management Office at extension 6193.


A "District Vehicle" is any District-owned vehicle, including electric carts. District carts are for on-campus use only.


3.1.  District vehicles shall be used solely for District business.

3.2.  The District maintains vehicles for the transport of students and employees in the performance of their duties.

3.3.  Only employees and Volunteers-of-Record who have been approved through Risk Management to do so, are authorized to drive District vehicles. The Risk Management office retains a list of currently authorized drivers.

3.3.1 To add a driver, the DMV Driver Record Release form must be filled out and signed (driver and supervisor) and submitted to Risk Management for authorization to drive a District vehicle. The completed form can be sent to Risk Management at to proceed with the enrollment process with DMV.

3.3.2 Please notify Risk Management of any changes/deletions to individuals who are authorized to drive District vehicles.

3.4.  An "employee" is any person who is paid in a staff capacity by the District. Employees include Board Members (for the purpose of driving District vehicles), faculty members, classified staff, student employees, and part-time hourly employees.

3.5.  A "Volunteer-of-Record" is any person who provides services to the District without any financial compensation and is registered as a volunteer by the Risk Management office.

Passengers shall be limited to employees engaged in District business, registered students engaged in college sponsored activities, or vendors, Board members, Volunteers, and employees of other agencies traveling to meetings in association with District staff. Unauthorized use of a vehicle has serious legal and insurance consequences.

  • Members of an employee's or volunteer's family are not authorized to drive District vehicles.
  • Students not employed by the District are not authorized to drive District vehicles.  Student accident insurance is void in the absence of direct supervision by a District Employee.


Drivers will give the District permission to obtain a copy of their driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles. The Risk Management office audits driving records. If the record warrants action, Risk Management will advise the driver's supervisor. Any serious infraction will cause suspension of driving privileges.

4.1.  Examples of points charged by the DMV for driving a vehicle unsafely are as follows:

One Point Offenses

Two Points Offenses

  • Disobeying traffic signals or signs
  • Failure to yield the right of way to a pedestrian
  • Conducting an illegal U-turn
  • Speeding above the posted limits
  • Failure to stop for a school bus
  • Drug and alcohol offenses
  • Child safety restraint violations
  • Passing on a double line
  • Reckless Driving
  • Hitting an unattended vehicle without notifying the owner
  • Causing property damage, injury, or death by hit-and-run driving
  • Driving on the wrong side of a divided highway
  • Speed contest or exhibition of speed


4.2.  Cumulative Points

If an employee's total point count exceeds the allowable limit, the employee's supervisor will be notified. The following limits are the maximum allowable:

  • 2 points in a 12-month period
  • 3 points in a 24-month period
  • 4 points in a 36-month period


The District does not routinely require the use of private vehicles for District business.  However, employees and Volunteers-of-Record may elect to use their own vehicles occasionally for transportation to meetings, errands, etc. with the prior approval of appropriate division or department head.


6.1. District Vehicles

6.1.1 The District carriers insurance to protect the District and the authorized driver for any accident involving either bodily injury or property damage.  This coverage is subject to a $250,000 self-insured retention for any loss.  This means that the District pays the first $250,000 directly.

6.1.2  The $250,000 self-insured retention also applies to the District vehicle damage.  The District funds the cost of repairs or replacement when a District vehicle is damaged.  These costs may be charged back to the department using the vehicle.  The District reserves the right to seek reimbursement from the employee or Volunteer-of-Record if an investigation shows that there was misuse of the vehicle.

6.2 Private Vehicles

6.2.1 Private vehicles used for District business must be covered by the vehicle owner's insurance with a minimum of $100,000 per person injured, $300,000 for all injuries in one accident, and $25,000 for property damage.  The District does not cover the deductible when a private vehicle is used, and the cost of insurance is factored into the mileage reimbursement.  The owner's insurance of a private car will respond first.  If that insurance is exhausted, District insurance will respond. The District does not monitor or certify to the mechanical condition of any private vehicle or to the appropriateness of its use.

6.2.2 The approved driver of a District vehicle is covered by Worker's Compensation in case of injury, as long as the use of the vehicle was authorized.

6.2.3 Students are not permitted to use their private vehicle for District business. Unauthorized use of a vehicle has serious legal and insurance consequences.

6.3 Group Charter Buses/Vehicles

6.3.1 Purchasing Services shall coordinate all bus charters with the department/campus.  Complete the Independent Contractor Agreement for Transportation Services form.

6.3.2 Failure to make arrangements through Purchasing Services may cause the District to be uninsured.

6.4 Employee Use of Car Rentals (for Business)

Rental agencies insure their vehicles for liability (damage or loss sustained by others) and collision (damage or loss sustained by their vehicle).  Their collision policies have a deductible.  At the time of rental there is the option to purchase insurance to cover any loss that could occur within that deductible.  It is recommended that liability and collision insurance be purchased with the car rental.


7.1 Employees using private cars for authorized District business may be reimbursed for mileage at a rate set by the State.  This reimbursement is for gasoline, oil, and insurance on a per mile basis.  Use the Mileage Form listed under Business Finance Forms.

7.2 The mileage reimbursement form must be signed by the driver and department manager responsible for the budget, and then submitted to Accounts Payable for processing.


Procards may be used for rental vehicles, but not for expenses connected with the use of privately owned vehicles.


District Facilities & Operations is responsible for the maintenance of all District Vehicles.

  • a. Authorized drivers are required to report all vehicle malfunctions or unsafe conditions on a Vehicle Condition Report, a hardcopy form available via Facilities & Operations.

b. Service or repair requests shall be forwarded to Facilities & Operations.  Forms for such requests are found in the vehicle glove box.


a.  Authorized drivers shall report all vehicle deficiencies or unsafe conditions to Facilities & Operations (see Maintenance above).

b.  While away from the vicinity of campus, minor items for roadside repairs may be obtained as Procard purchases.

c.  Before committing District funds, drivers shall carefully review the following instructions covering emergency repairs.


Repairs beyond the scope of credit card purchases may be made in bona fide emergencies.  In such cases, observe the following instructions:

a.  Towing is allowed (preferably by a car dealer of the make involved). If within 50 miles of campus, contact Facilities & Operations prior to towing the vehicle.

b.  Mechanical work up to a total of $250.00 may be obtained locally. If possible, get approval from Facilities & Operations before proceeding with any repair other than minor mechanical work.

c.  Do not commit District funds over $250.00 for emergency repairs. In such a case, leave the car in the garage and phone Facilities & Operations (Special Projects Coordinator) for instructions at (650) 949-6168.

d.  Obtain invoices with signature of vendor. They must be itemized and must show the vehicle license number and Foothill-De Anza Community College District as the owner.

e.  If the vendor requires payment, obtain invoices certified as paid. Report all details to Facilities & Operations upon return to the District.


a.  Vehicles permanently assigned to individual employees, by the District, may be parked at the employee's home. However, such vehicles are not for personal use. These vehicles should be parked in a driveway, garage, or other off-street location to reduce hazards.

b.   A District vehicle may be parked overnight at the home of an employee or Volunteer-of-Record when the individual is departing or returning from an official District-related trip.


Employees or Volunteers-of-Record who misuse District vehicles are liable for any resulting costs and may face disciplinary action, re-evaluation of volunteer status, as well as legal consequences. The following conditions are considered to be misuse:

  • Driving a District vehicle without proper permission and license cleared through Risk Management.  Exceeding the manufacturer's load capacity for weight and/or number of passengers.
  • Permitting an unauthorized person to drive a District vehicle.
  • Non-compliance with traffic laws and unsafe driving practices, including failure to use seat belts, not observing speed limits, or driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs.
  • Falsification of travel logs, travel authorizations, accident reports, or other forms related to the use of a District vehicle.
  • Improper storage or parking of a District vehicle. Personal use of a District vehicle.
  • Failure to comply with this Policy.


The employee or volunteer involved in an accident must record all pertinent information on the Auto Accident Report Form (in the vehicle's glove compartment) before leaving the scene of an accident.

a.  Reporting

        i.  External Reporting: For accidents occurring outside incorporated areas, the California Highway Patrol should be contacted; for those within cities, the local police department should be contacted.

        ii.  Internal Reporting: All vehicle accidents that result in bodily injury or involve serious damage to the property of others, must be reported immediately to 1) District Police, 2) Risk Management, and 3) Facilities & Operations. The driver's supervisor should ensure that the driver completes all necessary paperwork. If the driver is unable to do so, the supervisor should undertake this responsibility.

        iii.  Per DMV, each party involved in an accident must complete a Traffic Accident Report SR 1 within 10 days of the accident if:

    • There was property damage of more than $1,000, or
    • Anyone was injured (no matter how minor or major, including death).

b. Communications & Investigations

        i.  District employees and Volunteers-of-Record involved in an accident while driving a District vehicle or privately owned vehicle on District business, shall make no comment or statement regarding the accident to anyone except the police or District officials. Requests for information shall be referred to Risk Management. Following the accident, all communications regarding claims should be forwarded to the Risk Management office.

        ii.  When investigating a District vehicle accident, the Risk Management Officer is an "interested party" and is entitled to read and make notes from police reports.


a.  Employees who are injured in the course of their employment shall report injuries to Human Resources–District Benefits Unit at My as soon as possible for Workers' Compensation purposes.

b.  Volunteers-of-Record shall report accident related injuries to Human Resources–District Benefits Unit at


The use of District vehicles is limited to travel within the state. Out-of-state travel requires the approval of the College President or Vice Chancellor, Business Services.