Annual Adjustment to Threshold for Contracts Which Must be Competitively Bid
1. GOODS AND SERVICES
1.1. Bidding Threshold
The California Department of Education's statutory bid threshold for community colleges is $109,300 as of January 1, 2023, pursuant to Public Contract Code 20651(d). This threshold applies to the following contracts:
- Purchase of equipment, materials, or supplies to be furnished, sold, or leased to the district;
- Services that are not construction services; and
- Repairs that are not a Public Project or Maintenance as defined in Public Contract Code Section 22002 (see UPCCAA Section 2.2 below for definitions).
1.2. Exceptions to Bidding (Sole Source Justification approved by Purchasing)
- Emergency Purchases (threat of life, property or welfare of people or property)
- Cooperative Agreement or Piggyback to Public Agency Agreement
- Sole Source Purchases
- Specialized or unique services as provided in Government Code § 53060.
- Instructional Material (textbooks, library books/films, periodicals, audiovisual, instructional software etc.) as provided in Education Code § 81651.
2.1. UPCCAA Bidding Thresholds
The UPCCAA thresholds as of January 1, 2019 for various bid types are as follows:
|******************U P C C A A******************||
>$60,000 - $200,000
The letter from the State Controller regarding the effective date of the UPCCAA increases can be found here. (https://www.sco.ca.gov/Files-ARD-Local/New_Informal_Bid_Limit_Increase_Pursuant_to_PCC22032.pdf)
2.2. Public Project definitions
The application of the Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Act (UPCCAA) applies to the following construction and facilities maintenance services as defined in the Public Contract Code:
2.2.1. Public Project (PCC § 22002 (c))
- New Construction, reconstruction, erection, alteration, renovation, improvement, demolition, and repair work involving any publicly owned, leased, or operated facility.
- Painting or repainting of any publicly owned, leased, or operated facility.
2.2.2. Maintenance (PCC § 22002 (d))
- Routine, recurring, and usual work for the preservation or protection of any publicly owned or publicly operated facility for its intended purposes.
- Minor repainting.
- Resurfacing of streets and highways at less than one inch.
- Landscape maintenance, including mowing, watering, trimming, pruning, planting, replacement of plants, and servicing of irrigation and sprinkler systems.