Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the role of Risk Management?
    The Risk Management Department is charged with the primary responsibility of providing for a safe environment for the campus communities.
  2. Is the District responsible for any damage to an employee owned vehicle while parked in a District parking facility?
    As a general rule, the District is not responsible for any loss or damage to an employee owned vehicle. However, your personal auto insurance may cover your loss.
  3. Is there any liability if I take my own vehicle for a District event?
    In the event of an auto accident insurance involving your private car, your personal insurance is primary. Neither District insurance nor District funds will reimburse private insurance claims. The cost of insurance is factored into the mileage reimbursement. Therefore, any deductible incurred by an employee in the event of an accident will not be covered. Be sure to get prior authorization to use your vehicle for a District event.
  4. Are volunteers allowed on District Travel?
    Volunteers may be able to participate in student travel; they must be pre-authorized by the Division Dean. Please call Risk Management at extension 6193 for information.
  5. What is the approval process for student travel?
    There are various forms required for student travel. Please refer to the Forms section of this page or call Risk Management for information at extension 6193.
  6. In the event of an emergency on campus, what should I do?
    To obtain emergency services call 911 from any campus phone 7 days a week. To contact the Police Department office, for non-emergency services, between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am call 949-7317 at Foothill or 864-5555 at De Anza.
  7. How do I report a safety concern?
    Please go to the forms page to select the proper form or call Risk Management at 6193.
  8. If I am injured on the job, what should I do?
    In the event of an on-the-job injury, District employees must first report to the campus Health Services office. If Health Services is closed or if the injury requires further medical treatment, employees must go to Cupertino Medical Center (CMC) Occupational Medicine for the initial diagnosis treatment. Cupertino Medical Center is at 20289 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino. Your personal physician may not treat you unless you have placed a memo in your personnel file prior to the injury denoting treatment by your named physician. In the event of a major medical emergency, please go to the nearest emergency center, hospital or clinic.